3-day klettersteig hike in Dachstein.
Dachstein offers plenty of ferratas of various difficulties. I would like to focus on C to D ones (no superferrata, sorry) but of course also go on Hoher Dachstein (the second most prominent mountain in Austria) and pass below the amazing Dachstein Sudwand.
The detailed plan may change (most probably we will do less with weather being the main constraint) but a sketch is as follows:
- If the Seethalerhütte is opened
- If the Seethalerhütte is still closed
- Leave Vienna after work on Friday and spend a night in the Austria Hutte
- Go on the top of Dachstein using the normal route (Wanderweg 615 below the cable car), follow to the Hoher Dachstein (A/B), finally go down the glacier to the Simony Hutte
- Go on the Wildkar-Klettersteig (D) and follow to the Hohes Kreuz. Go back to the Simony Hutte.
- Go up the glacier and continue on the Irg 2 Klettersteig (C/D), go down the valley using the normal route and go back to Vienna.
This is a serious high-alpine tour involving passing a glacier and snow fields so I must be sure you we are able to do it safely.
It means to take part in this hike I must either know you well or you have to take part in (and perform well on :-) ) both:
- The winter practice
I need you to know how to use crampons in a mixed terrain, how to behave while crossing a glacier (being tied with a rope) and how to arrest in snow. If you were on the basic education on rock & ice course and you didn't forget what you had learned, you should be fine. The winter practice hike is to make sure you didn't forget.
- The ferrata practice on the OTK Steig
I need to make sure you feel confident on high-alpine D ferratas. If you can pass the OTK Steig (D/E but there is only one D/E spot), all D ferratas should be in your range (in terms of a climbing technique).
Because of the trip difficulty, the participants limit is 3 including me.
As not everyone counts you can sign up, even if all places are taken (there are people experienced enough not to be included in the limit). Which doesn't mean there will be a place for everyone.
I'll be able to decide on the final number of participants after the winter practice event, when I know more about our skills.
The registration deadline is short because huts in Dachstein are quite crowded and must be reserved in advance.
Photos from my previous hikes in the area: June 2016, September 2016, July 2018